Agenda and minutes
Venue: Hendon Town Hall, The Burroughs, London NW4 4BQ. View directions
Contact: Kirstin Lambert Email: email@example.com 020 8359 2177
Before beginning official Council business the Worshipful the Mayor Councillor David Longstaff announced on behalf of Council his shock and sadness at the senseless terrorist attack which had taken place in Manchester the previous night, which had resulted in the deaths and injuries of many young people. He noted that Council condemned the actions of the terrorists and that Council’s thoughts and prayers were with the victims of the attack.
On the request of the Mayor Council held a minute’s silence.
The Mayor’s Chaplain, Reverend Tristan Chapman, offered prayers.
Apologies for absence
Election of the Mayor
The Worshipful the Mayor called for nominations for the election of Mayor of the London Borough of Barnet for the ensuing municipal year.
Councillor Sachin Rajput moved, seconded by Councillor Stephen Sowerby, that Councillor Brian Salinger be elected Mayor.
Councillor Phil Cohen moved, seconded by Councillor Rebecca Challice, that Councillor Laurie Williams be elected Mayor.
Upon being put to the vote the nomination for Councillor Brian Salinger was declared carried.
RESOLVED – That Councillor Brian Salinger be elected Mayor of the London Borough of Barnet for the ensuing municipal year 2017-2018.
Councillor Brian Salinger then left the Council Chamber to robe. Upon his return, he was invested with the badge and chain of the office of Mayor.
THE WORSHIPFUL THE MAYOR COUNCILLOR BRIAN SALINGER IN THE CHAIR
The Worshipful the Mayor thanked the Council for the honour conferred upon him by his election and informed the Council that he would be supporting Homeless Action in Barnet as his charity.
The Worshipful the Mayor announced the appointment of Councillor Val Duchinsky to act as Deputy Mayor during his term of office.
The Worshipful the Mayor noted that instead of appointing a Chaplain he would, with the assistance of the Barnet Interfaith Forum, be seeking representations from minority religions to speak at council meetings during the next year.
The minutes of the Council meeting and the minutes of the Extraordinary Council meeting held on 4 April 2017 were agreed as a correct record.
Declarations of interest
There were none.
On behalf of the Council, the Worshipful the Mayor noted the sad news that Mrs Gordon-Lee, who was Mayoress in Barnet in 1968-69, had passed away in June 2016. The Worshipful the Mayor noted that this had only recently been notified to the Council.
The Worshipful the Mayor announced that there would be a memorial service on 24th May at midday for the late Major “Paddy” Patrick O’Brien the former representative Deputy Lieutenant of the London Borough of Barnet at St Albans Church, Nether St, which he, the Deputy Mayor and the Mayoress would be attending.
On behalf of the Council, the Worshipful the Mayor congratulated Saracens for winning their second successive European Champions Cup after beating Clermont in the final in Edinburgh on 13 May. The Worshipful the Mayor noted that disappointingly Saracens had lost their Premiership Semi-Final against Exeter Chiefs on 20 May and so would not feature in the final at Twickenham on Saturday.
Congratulations were given to Anthony Joshua for his achievement in winning the World Heavyweight Boxing championship at the end of April.
Noting the appointment of the Deputy Leader
The Worshipful the Mayor noted that the Leader was elected for a 4 year period in 2014 and that as such, Council would only make appointments to the positions of Deputy Leader and Leader of the Opposition.
Council noted the appointment of Councillor Daniel Thomas as Deputy Leader.
Noting of the appointment of the Leader of the second largest Political Group as the Leader of the Opposition
Council noted the appointment of Councillor Barry Rawlings as Leader of the Opposition.
A separate vote was taken on the recommendations in each of the appendices to the cover report.
1. Council noted the political balance of the Council was:
a. 32 Members of the Conservative Group;
b. 30 Members of the Labour Group;
c. 1 Liberal Democrat
2. Council agreed the allocation of seats as set out in the Table A of this report in order to comply with the political balance regulations requiring seats to be allocated proportionately to the political groups represented on Council.
3. Council agreed the allocation of seats on non-politically proportionate bodies as set out in Table B of Appendix A.
4. Council agreed to the allocation of a seat to the Member not part of a political group and, in accordance with the circulated schedule of appointments to committees, Councillor Jack Cohen was allocated a seat on the Licensing Committee and as a substitute member of the Finchley & Golders Green Area Planning Committee.
Appendix A1 – Appointments to Committees AND OTHER BODIES
Council considered the nominations for appointments to committees and other bodies as set out in Appendix A1 and Addendum report to Appendix A1.
The Group Secretaries moved the nominations in their name.
Councillor Joan Scannell moved the following amendments:
Corporate Parenting Advisory Panel – The Conservative nomination for members to be amended so that Councillor Shimon Ryde replace Councillor Brian Salinger as a Member of the Panel.
Licensing Committee – The Conservative nomination for members to be amended so that Councillor Jack Cohen is added as a Member.
Finchley and Golders Green Area Planning Committee – The Conservative nomination for members to be amended so that Councillor Jack Cohen is added as a substitute Member of the Committee.
A separate vote was taken on the Conservative Group nominations and the Labour Group nominations where there was competition for roles, as follows:
Chairman and Vice-Chairman:
· Policy and Resources Committee
· Performance & Contract Monitoring Committee
· Children, Education Libraries & Safeguarding Committee
· Environment Committee
· Assets, Regeneration & Growth Committee
· Adults& Safeguarding Committee
· Housing Committee
· Community Leadership Committee
· Audit Committee
· Planning Committee
· General Functions Committee
· Health Overview & Scrutiny Committee
· Constitution, Ethics & Probity Committee
· Chief Officer Appointment Panel
Councillors Joan Scannell (Conservative) and Ammar Naqvi (Labour) moved the nominations in their name. Upon the Conservative nominations being put to the vote, the votes were declared as follows:
1. That the Conservative Group nominations for Chairman and Vice-Chairman on the above committees be approved.
2. That the Labour Group nominations for Chairman and Vice-Chairman become appointments as committee members instead.
3. That those remaining Chairman and Vice-Chairman nominations that are uncontested be approved.
· Licensing Committee
· Pension Fund Committee
· Urgency Committee
· Finchley & Golders Green Area Committee
· Finchley & Golders Green Area Planning Committee
· Finchley & Golders Green Residents Forum
· Chipping Barnet Area Committee
· Chipping Barnet Area Planning Committee
· Chipping Barnet Residents Forum
· Hendon Area Committee
· Hendon Area Planning Committee
· Hendon Residents Forum
· Corporate Parenting Advisory Panel
· Health and Wellbeing Board
Councillors Joan Scannell (Conservative) ... view the full minutes text for item 9.
Council noted that Annex 2 to the report, the Current Code of Conduct, contained a reference to the previous Monitoring Officer Davina Fiore, which would with the agreement of Council be removed from the revised version of the document. This was duly agreed.
The Chairman of Constitution Ethics and Probity Committee, Councillor John Marshall, moved reception and adoption of the report.
1. Council adopted the revised Members Code of Conduct as set out at Annex C, replacing the existing Code of Conduct (as contained in Annex B - Parts 1, 2, and 3 and Appendix 1).
2. Council noted that the Hearing Procedure, as set out in Appendix 2 in the current Members Code of Conduct, would be retained unchanged.