Register of interests

Councillor Richard Barnes

I, Councillor Richard Barnes, an Elected Member of the London Borough of Barnet set out below the interests which I am required to declare by law and under the Code of Conduct for Members:


1. Employment, office, trade, profession or vocation

1. Your employment, office, trade, profession or vocation carried on for profit or gain, and that of your husband/wife/civil partner. Note: “Office” includes position held as representative of the council on the management of an external organisation if an Allowance is paid which exceeds reasonable expenses.
Completed by Member
Retired teacher doing occasional private tuition and exam marking.
My wife is a musician and music teacher.
Private tuition from home.

2. Sponsorship

2. Any payment or provision of any other financial benefit in respect of any expenses incurred in carrying out duties or towards election expenses; this includes any payment or financial benefit from a trade union.
Completed by Member
The Labour Party

3. Contracts

3. Any contract which is made between you or your husband/wife/civil partner (or a body in which you or your husband/wife/ civil partner has a beneficial interest) and the Council under which goods or services are to be provided or works are to be executed and which has not been fully discharged.
Completed by Member

4. Land

4. Any beneficial interest in land held by you or your husband, wife or partner which is within the area of the council.
Completed by Member
Dispensation granted 09/05/2022

5. Licences

5. Any licence (alone or jointly with others) to you or your husband/wife/civil partner to occupy land in Barnet for a month or longer.
For completion by Member

6. Corporate tenancies

6. Any tenancy where the landlord is the Council and the tenant is a body in which you or your husband/wife/civil partner has a beneficial interest.
Completed by Member

7. Securities

7. Any beneficial interest in which you or your husband/wife/civil partner has in securities of a body where: (a) that body has a place of business or land in the area of the Council; and (b) either: (i) the total nominal value of the securities exceeds £25,000 or one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that body; or (ii) if the share capital of that body is of more than one class, the total nominal value of the shares of any one class in which you or a relevant person has a beneficial interest exceeds one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that class.
Completed by Member

8. Personal wellbeing

You may also have a pecuniary interest where you attend a committee meeting of the council where the business concerns your personal wellbeing or financial position or that of your husband, wife, partner to a greater extent than the majority of residents in your Ward affected by the decision. Please note that you will only know this when you attend a committee meeting or full council and an item on the agenda affects your wellbeing or that of your husband, wife, partner to the extent described above. You must then declare a pecuniary interest at the beginning of the meeting or before the relevant agenda item is discussed and not take part in the meeting when that agenda item is discussed.

9. Other Interests

8. Other Interests are ones where: a) Any decision in relation to the item at a meeting might reasonably be regarded as affecting the well-being or financial standing of you or a member of your family or a person with whom you have a close association to a greater extent than it would affect the majority of the Council Tax payers, ratepayers or inhabitants of the ward or electoral area for which you have been elected or otherwise of the authority’s administrative area. b) A close family member is a spouse, civil partner or any person living with the member as a spouse or civil partner, or a Member’s brother or sister, son or daughter or a parent.
Completed by Member
Board Member of the Eleanor Palmer Trust
Governor at Cromer Road Primary School


If you receive or have declined any gift or hospitality with an estimated value of at least £25 in your capacity as a Councillor, then you must give details in writing to the Council’s Monitoring Officer within 28 days of your receiving the gift or hospitality. These details must include the name of the donor, his or her main business (if appropriate), the nature of the gift or hospitality and its estimated value.


I recognise that I will be in breach of the Council’s Code of Conduct for Members if I: (a) Omit information that ought to be given in this notice (b) Provide information that is materially false or misleading (c) Fail to give further notice within 28 days of any change to the information set out above in order to bring up to date the information given in this notice.

9. Dispensations
Dispensations Granted
Dispensation granted 09/05/2022
10. My form has been signed and dated
Signed - Print name Date
Richard Barnes 09/05/2022
Richard Barnes 29/07/2022
Richard Barnes 10.04.24