Agenda and minutes
Venue: Hendon Town Hall, The Burroughs, London NW4 4BQ. View directions
Contact: Maria Lugangira 020 8359 2761 Email: email@example.com
Prayer - the Mayor's Chaplain
In the absence of Rabbi Schochet, the Mayor’s Chaplain, Councillor Kate Salinger, the Deputy Mayor offered prayer.
Election of the Mayor
The Worshipful the Mayor called for nominations for the election of Mayor of the London Borough of Barnet for the ensuing municipal year. Councillor Hugh Rayner moved, seconded by Councillor Daniel Thomas, that Councillor Melvin Cohen be elected Mayor. Upon the nomination being put to the vote, it was declared carried.
RESOLVED – That Councillor Melvin Cohen be elected Mayor of the London Borough of Barnet for the ensuing municipal year 2013-14.
Councillor Melvin Cohen then left the Council Chamber to robe. Upon his return, he was invested with the badge and chain of the office of Mayor.
The Worshipful the Mayor made the declaration prescribed by law accepting the office of Mayor and thanked Council for the honour conferred upon him by his election and informed Council that he would be supporting two charities: (i) Kisharon, a charity which assists the Jewish Community by helping to provide support to people with learning difficulties and their families and (ii) the Mayor of Barnet’s Armed Forces Welfare Fund which helps support members of the British Armed Forces who have suffered life changing injuries while on operations. The fund is primarily intended to provide assistance to service men and women with a connection to the borough or the two Territorial Army units based in Barnet.
The Worshipful the Mayor Councillor MELVIN COHEN in the Chair
Appointment of the new Deputy Mayor and the Mayoress
The Worshipful the Mayor announced the appointment of Councillor Bridget Perry to act as Deputy Mayor during his term of office and the appointment of Councillor Wendy Prentice as Mayoress.
Appointment of the Mayor's Chaplain
The Worshipful the Mayor appointed Rabbi David Lister to be his Chaplain during his term of office.
RESOLVED – That the minutes of themeeting of the Council held on 16 April 2013 be approved.
Declarations of interest
None were declared.
The Worshipful the Mayor on behalf of Council passed on his condolences to Councillor Alison Moore and her family on the recent passing of her mother.
The Worshipful the Mayor on behalf of Council passed on his condolences to the family of Mr. Barry Martin who passed away on Friday, 17 May 2013. Mr. Martin worked for the Council for over 30 years, during which time he served as part of the Mayoral Chauffeur team.
The Worshipful the Mayor announced that after many years of service, Mr. Jeff Lustig the Director of Corporate Governance would be retiring at the end of the month. At the invitation of the Worshipful the Mayor, Councillor Richard Cornelius, Leader of the Council, Councillor Alison Moore, Leader of the Labour Group, Councillor Jack Cohen, Leader of the Liberal Democrat Group and Councillor Brian Coleman spoke in tribute to Mr. Lustig.
Mr. Lustig thanked the Worshipful the Mayor and the Councillors for their kind words.
Report of the Leader of the Council - Delegation of Executive Functions
In accordance with the Constitution, the Leader of the Council presented a written record of the delegations made by him to the Cabinet and Cabinet Resources Committee. The detailed Scheme of Delegation is appended to the minutes.
(1) Council noted that the Leader appointed the following Members to serve on the Cabinet;
(2) The Leader appointed Councillor Daniel Thomas as Deputy Leader of the Council.
(3) The Leader appointed the following Members to serve on the Cabinet Resources Committee.
· Councillor Daniel Thomas (Chairman)
· Councillor Richard Cornelius
· Councillor Tom Davey
· Councillor David Longstaff
· Councillor Robert Rams
· Councillor Sachin Rajput
RESOLVED – That Council note the Leader’s Scheme of Delegation.
Appointment of Assistant Cabinet Members
Council is asked to note that the following Members have been appointed as Assistant Cabinet Members.
· Councillor Andrew Strongolou is appointed Assistant Cabinet Member for Regeneration.
· Councillor Eva Greenspan is appointed Assistant Cabinet Member for Housing.
· Councilllor Daniel Seal is appointed Assistant Cabinet Member for Resources.
· Councillor Alison Cornelius is appointed Assistant Cabinet Member for Education.
RESOLVED – That Council note the appointment of the Members listed above as Assistant Cabinet Members.
Noting of the appointment of the Leader of the second largest Political Group as the Leader of the Opposition
RESOLVED – Council noted the appointment of Councillor Alison Moore as Leader of the Labour Group and Leader of the Opposition.
Councillor Andrew Harper moved adoption and reception of the report. Upon being put to the vote the recommendations were declared carried.
RESOLVED – That Council approve Barnet’s Children and Young People Plan 2013-16.
1&7. Appointment of Standing Committees (with Chairmen and Vice-Chairmen) and political Proportionality
The Group Secretaries moved their nominations.
1. That Council note the political balance of the Council is 37 Members of the Conservative Group; 22 Members of the Labour Group; 3 Members of the Liberal Democrat Group and 1 Independent (non-aligned) Member.
2. That Council approve the allocation of seats on committees in accordance with the political balance regulations on the basis of seats being allocated to the political groups represented on Council.
3. That Council defer the decision on whether it wishes to allocate a seat to the Independent (non-aligned) Member on such Committee as it may determine.
4. That Council does not agree to continue to exempt the Remuneration Committee, the Pension Fund Committee and the Leader’s Panel from the political balance calculations.
5. That Council (in accordance with resolution 4 above) approve the allocations of seats as set in the table, Option 1 in the Supplemental Report of the Head of Governance.
As a consequence of resolution 4, the changes to Committee Membership are as follows.
The Liberal Democrat Group loses a seat on the Committee. The Labour Group gains a seat.
Pension Fund Committee: Number of seats increases from 6 to 7
The Liberal Democrat Group loses a seat on the Committee. The Conservative Group gains two additional seats.
Leaders Panel: Number of seats increases from 3 to 5
The Conservative Group gains two additional seats on the Panel.
Education Overview and Scrutiny Committee
The Liberal Democrat Group has no seat allocation on the Committee. The Labour Group has 4 instead of 3 seats.
The following amendments to the circulated Committee schedules were moved from the floor.
Councillor Barry Rawlings is appointed to the Committee.
Pension Fund Committee
Councillor Daniel Seal and Councillor Rowan Quigley Turner are appointed to the Committee.
Councillor Susette Palmer is the Liberal Democrat Group Member appointed to the Committee.
Councillor Anthony Finn and Councillor John Marshall are appointed to the Panel.
Education Overview and Scrutiny Committee
The Labour Group deferred the appointment of a fourth Member to the Committee.
Councillor Joan Scannell moved a further change.
Contract Monitoring Overview and Scrutiny Committee
Councillor Daniel Seal to replace Councillor Eva Greenspan as a Member of the Committee.
2. Appointment of Representatives of the Council to Outside Bodies
The Group secretaries moved their nominations.
Arts Depot Trust
Labour Group Nomination - Councillor Anne Hutton
Conservative Group Nomination - Councillor Anthony Finn
Upon being put to the vote the nomination in the name of Councillor Anne Hutton was declared lost.
Upon being put to the vote the nomination in the name of Councillor Anthony Finn was declared carried.
Grahame Park Partnership Board
Labour Group Nomination - Councillor Geoffrey Johnson
Conservative Group Nomination - Councillor Eva Greenspan
Upon being put to the vote the nomination in the name of Councillor Geoffrey Johnson was declared lost.
Upon being put to the vote the nomination ... view the full minutes text for item 10.